Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ironic Technology Post

"Gamma Ray", technology produced art :) Thank you technology!

Technology is great. But when abused, it hinders and actually seems to end up hurting you. I have clocked in my fair share of watching movies and television shows, just tuning out of my life and into someone else's story.  I have found it harder and harder though to sit down and just absorb one whole movie. A part of me thinks that is due to the lack of quality material out there, and another part of me thinks it is part of growing up. Moving past the distractions and finding the moments that are real, is like creating your own movie, where you are the star. You can even hum your own soundtrack!  


I stopped using a cell phone a while back, and it took some time to get used to not having the ability to "text" someone. "Texting" is great, but so impersonal, and so much gets lost in translation. The feeling and compassion is lost, along with correct spelling and grammar. I understand it is faster to abbreviate a word, but I fear we are breeding a society that will not know how to speak a real language. Technology has so many of us spoiled, that we end up wanting things to go faster, faster, faster! So what happens if the tech fails? Our cars, homes, and daily lives would be chaos. We would all have to start from scratch. It would be scary, since so much of our survival is contingent upon how well our tech works.  

I love technology, but perhaps it would be okay to take a step back from it, from time to time, and practice calculating something longhand with a pencil and paper, without the calculator. It's good for your brain!  

No comments:

Post a Comment